Phi Phi Island, located 50km east of Phuket, is considered by many as the best island in Thailand. It is actually made up of a group of six islands. Phi Phi Don is the largest and is where the party and action is and is the only place you can stay overnight. Phi Phi Leh is south of Phi Phi Don and is where you will find the famous Maya Bay (featured in the movie "The Beach") and the Viking Cave. Further south are Koh Bida islands famous for diving trips. Up north are Bamboo and Moquito islands which are basically limestone rocks spiking out from the sea.
Getting to Phi Phi
Located 45 km east of Phuket you can only get there by boat.
To get to Phi phi there are 3 optionsa:
- From Phuket, Rasada Pier, it takes 2 hours
- The top deck doubles up as a sundeck so you can get a suntan enroute
- It is very comfortable and with a VIP (green) ticket you can lounge out in air con middle deck
- Check out ferry prices and schedules to Phi Phi (click here)
Private Charter Speed Boat
- From Phuket, Chalong Pier, it takes 40 mins
- Very popular way of getting to and seeing PhiPhi
- You decide your departure time and the spots you want to visit
- Good value for larger groups as the cost of boat hire is divided
- Caution, avoid speed boat in bad marine weather as the sea trip can get pretty bumpy
- See speed boats that goto Phi Phi (click here)